"Swamp Root" 3-string Illustrated Cigar Box Guitar - Featuring a Vintage Patent Medicine Design!
This beautiful piece is one of our line of "illustrated" guitars, designed to capture the essence of fundamental, no-frills stringed instrument crafting. To the hand-crafted frame (tone-rich wooden cigar box, hardwood neck & fretboard, solid tried-and-true hardware), we add a beautiful, full-color piece of real antique cigar box artwork, uniquely vivifying the instrument and drawing the eye of all who see it. This handcrafted guitar has a full, rich acoustic tone (and a built-in contact pickup, if you want to amplify it), a nice high ringing treble voice, and is simply a joy to play. Best of all is the affordable price on this hand-crafted-in-the-USA piece of musical art.
The demo video below shows another guitar from this series, built to the exact same specifications but with a different decal. The sound is the same!
The soundboard artwork is printed directly onto the lacquered wood top of the cigar box using a special UV-cured enamel ink process, resulting in a rich, full-color, durable finish. We use built-to-order wooden cigar box-style boxes for these guitars, which have never held cigars and have no connection to the tobacco industry.
- Illustration/Design: "Swamp Root", an original design by Ben Gitty Baker based on a real antique patent medicine label.
- Number of Strings: 3
- Tuning: Open G "GDG" (high treble folk/country variety)
- Scale Length: 23 inches (Tenor guitar)
- Fretting Style: Chromatic
- Pickup Style: Contact (piezo) direct-wired to Jack
- Neck and Fretboard: Hardwood (Poplar)