Lakeside & Marblehead Railroad Station Signs
Own a beautifully reproduced piece of Marblehead Peninsula history with these American-made replica signs from the Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad!
The L&M ran from 1886 to 1964, from downtown Marblehead to the Danbury connection point with the main line railroad that still sees many trains per day. The trains on this short line railroad hauled millions of tons of stone and thousands of passengers and other freight over the years, and were part of the heart of the community.
These signs were designed based on photos of the actual station signs that hung on the depots and whistle stops at Marblehead, Lakeside, Picolo (at the crossing of what is now Englebeck Road), Violet (at the crossing of what is now Church Road) and Danbury. They are printed on high-quality 6mm birch plywood using UV-cured enamel inks, for a rich and durable finish. They measure 17 inches in length by 3.5 inches in height, and are cut and printed in the United States. Two holes are included to aid with mounting, but no mounting hardware is provided as part of this offer.
These signs were created by C. B. Gitty founder and former Marblehead resident Ben "Gitty" Baker. Ben graduated from Danbury High School in 1995, and at age 17 wrote a book, "Looking Back", about the history of Marblehead, it's people, railroad and quarries. He remains deeply interested in the history of the Marblehead area, and proceeds from sales of these signs will go towards efforts to preserve and research that history.