Grommet Setting Die for 1" (OD) Grommets
This two-piece die is used to set grommets into fabric, canvas, leather, thin wood or other sheet materials, They are designed for use specifically with our 1" screened grommets. This is a solid steel die which should work fine for mounting thousands of grommets, when properly used. They can be used with a simple hammer and vise, or you could figure out a way to install them in an arbor press if you are looking at serious production work.
We do not include instructions with these dies, but here is a general guide to their use:
- Secure the bottom die part (the shallower one with the groove for the face of the grommet) in a vise or other secure arrangement,
- Place the grommet face down in the bottom die part.
- Cut a hole in your material roughly the same size as the grommet flange diameter
- Place the hole over the flange on the grommet in the bottom die part.
- Place a washer over the grommet flange and material, so that the rounded part is up.
- Fit the top die part over the grommet flange so that the protruding part of the die is inside the grommet flange.
- Using a mallet or small hammer, carefully tap the stem of the top die do that the grommet flange is expanded and flattened down over the washer.
- You should be able to tell when it has been fully flattened. Don't continue to bash away at it too much once it is firmly seated.