How to Play the 3-string Cigar Box Guitar - 15 Video Lesson Pack from Keni Lee Burgess
Keni Lee Burgess is a master of blues guitar and cigar box guitar, and his lessons have taught thousands of people to play over the years. We are proud to be able to offer them in downloadable digital format. This lesson pack is provided as 15 separate video file downloads in MP4 format and should play on any modern device or computer.
Here is a sample from this lesson series:
This CD is perfect for beginners as a fun and educational introduction to learning music and playing guitar. Building and playing homemade instruments out of cigar boxes became popularized during the Great Depression of the 1930s and was a starting point for many famous musicians like Blind Willie Johnson, Lightnin Hopkins, Charlie Christian, Carl Perkins, Jimi Hendrix, George Benson, Roy Clark...
These video lessons are for a 3-string fretted instrument tuned G D G. Music tablature is included on the video.
Please Note: If you are buying other items and want to be able to immediately download this product, please place a separate order just for this!
- Lesson 1: Introduction, Tuning, Building or Purchasing a CBG, Dealers and Resources, Bottleneck slides and Finger picks
- Lesson 2: Understanding basic music theory, Exercises, Chromatic, major, and pentatonic blues scales on the first string, Adding a monotonic or alternating bass to a melody line, Interval movement, Song: Nobody's Fault but Mine
- Lesson 3: Scales on the second string, comparing six string standard guitar to 3 string CBG, Major chord inversions, Doublestops, Harmonizing the major scale, Song: Sitting on Top of the World
- Lesson 4: 12 bar Blues progression, instrumental break Song: Sweet Home Chicago Example
- Lesson 5: Exotic scale from the East, Passing tones, Jamming with a practice track, Creating a theme or melody line, Improving timing and phrasing
- Lesson 6: Boogie woogie rhythm, Songs: Dust my Broom Example, Ramblin' On My Mind Example, Baby, Please Don't Go
- Lesson 7: Creating a pentatonic blues scale from the major scale, Passing tones, Third fret blues player's "buddy notes", Blues licks, Song: Rock Me Mama and instrumental solo breakdown
- Lesson 8: Song: Rollin' and Tumblin'
- Lesson 9A: Tempo control and timing, Song: Amazing Grace
- Lesson 9B: Expanding 3 string CBG to 6 string guitar, Open tuning relativity, Changing keys, Song: Amazing Grace (6 string arrangement)
- Lesson 10: Pentatonic blues scales in various positions, pentatonic doublestops, Blues licks, Ear training, Songs: Fred McDowell example, Show Me the Way to Go Home tablature
- Lesson 11: Supplement A, 12 bar walking bass line
- Lesson 12: Supplement B, 12 bar walking bass variations, doublestop fills
- Lesson 13: Supplement C, Figuring out songs and creating your own arrangements, Song: Short'nin' Bread
- Lesson 14: Supplement D, A cigar box guitar builder's guide to stringing and tuning
Here is another sample lesson: