3-String Open D "DAD" Modal/Blues String Sets - Choose from 4 Set Varieties!
Open D "DAD" is a very popular tuning for 3-string cigar box guitars, second only to the Open G GDG tuning. It's just so easy to bang out good ole gritty blues using this classic tuning. Sometimes known as the D Modal or D Power Chord tuning, if you are looking for a great tuning to try on your CBG, this is a great option! Because this tuning is in the same 1-5-1 pattern as GDG, you can make use of any of the how-to-play videos on YouTube done with GDG tuning... the result will just be a bit lower in pitch.
We offer four different "flavors" of DAD tunings, using different combinations of larger wound strings and smaller unwound strings, each of which has a distinctly different sound with more or less bass and more or less treble. Check out the sound clips below to hear what each of the four varieties sound like, and then choose one of the options above. The price difference is due to the larger wound bronze strings being a lot pricier than the smaller plain steel strings.
Open D DAD String Set Varieties
Click on each link to hear the sound clip of what each string set variety sounds like (you must allow popups for this site for this to work). For a more in-depth discussion of these tunings, check out our full DAD Open D article over at CigarBoxGuitar.com!
- Low D, Low A, Middle D
- This set is the lowest of the low. All wound strings, .052", .042" and .032" phosphor bronze wound. Choose this option if you want a deep, low, growly blues tone.
- Low D, Low A, High D
- This set is very similar to the first one above, but it swaps out the Middle D for a unwound High D string. Having that high note really works well in this set, and allows for a stronger melody line, but still with a very bass-heavy sound. String sizes are .052" wound, .042" wound and .012" plain steel.
- Low D, Middle A, High D
- This set keeps the Low D but moves both the A and D up into the higher register. This is our favorite set in this tuning - it keeps a nice low thumpy bass note, balanced with the more trebly Middle A and the high D. String sizes are .052" wound, .022" wound and .012" plain steel.
- Middle D, Middle A, High D
- This set brings the Low D up to a Middle D - still a wound string, but a full octave higher. The result is much less "bassy", while still having a decent amount of punch. This set is one full octave higher than the first set above. String sizes are .030" wound, .022" wound and .012" plain steel.