No soldering required, just plug and play! Compact size and minimal mounting plate curvature is ideal for cigar box guitars.
This is a compact little powered pre-amp unit, perfect for mounting directly into the side of your ukulele or cigar box guitar. This pre-amp gives you an on-board equalizer to control bass, treble and volume, helps boost and clarify the signal before it goes to your amplifier. For cigar box guitars, using a pre-amp like this one is guaranteed to make your CBG sound better, compared to wiring a piezo straight to a jack. The rod-style piezo is meant to be mounted under a saddle piece on ukuleles, and can be built into a bridge or placed directly under the bridge for optimal vibrational pickup on cigar box guitars. Many players feel that the rod-style piezos give better tonal range than the standard disk-style ones.
It includes a number of great features:
- included 4-string rod-style piezo transducer pickup, attaches via small 2.5mm male plug so it can be removed if desired.
- mono 1/4" jack with an automatic "off" circuit that turns the pre-amp off when the cord is unplugged
- Controls for volume, bass, and treble.
- built-in battery holder for 9-volt battery (not included)
- Slim, compact design.
- Includes mounting screws, extra washer and nut for jack, and plastic self-adhesive wire organizer.
- Outer dimensions of top flange: 1 5/8" x 2 5/16"
- Depth required inside instrument: 2 3/8" under flange
- Recommended mounting hole size: 1 5/16" x 1 13/16" (we recommend starting with a slightly smaller hole and using a file to enlarge it - it's a lot easier to make a small hole bigger than it is to make a big hole smaller).
Please be aware that the flange (the upper plastic rim/housing that mounts flush against the guitar wall) of this pre-amp does have a slight curve to it, but much less than the other pre-amp we sell. It should sit down very nearly flush when screwed into place on a flat cigar box side.
- Determine where to mount the main pre-amp part and the output jack. Check the size specs above, and then consider the available depth inside the intsrument, outer dimensions of the flange, distance to the jack and bridge, etc. Make sure all leads will reach.
- Cut the hole for the pre-amp body. Start with a smaller hole and use a file to enlarge it as needed until you get a snug fit. You may want to file a small indentation on the battery compartment side to accomodate the plastic tab that keeps the compartment
- Depending on whether you haev access to the inside of your instrument during installation, you may be able to mount the pre-amp body in place now. If you don't have access to the inside, you will want to plug in the jack and rod piezo leads before screwing it in place.
- Drill your hole for the output jack. A 3/8" drill bit should suffice. Mount the jack in the instrument using the included washer and nut.
- Install the rod piezo in your instrument. They work best if installed right in the bridge under some sort of saddle, such as in the slot under the bone saddle of a ukulele. Run the rod piezo lead down through a hole drilled through the sound board of the instrument under/through the bridge.
- If desired, use the included adhesive plastic square and tie strap to help keep the wires from flopping about inside your instrument.
- Plug the output jack lead into the larger of the two jacks on the pre-amp body, and plug the rod piezo lead into the smaller jack.
- if you haven't already, use the included screws to mount the pre-amp body to your instrument.
- Installation should now be complete. Install a 9-volt battery, plug into your amp and enjoy the sound! If you don't get any sound, double-check that your battery is fresh, and that you have the leads plugged in correctly.