3-String Open G "GDG" Modal/Blues String Sets - Choose from 4 Set Varieties!
Bulk discount rates
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
|Buy 5 - 11||and get 10% off|
|Buy 12 or above||and get 15% off|
Open G "GDG" is perhaps the most popular tuning for 3-string cigar box guitars, and for good reason. It's just so easy to bang out good ole gritty blues using this classic tuning. Sometimes known as the G Modal or G Power Chord tuning, if you are looking for a great tuning to try on your CBG, this is probably it! As an added bonus, a lot of the "how to play" videos on YouTube feature this tuning.
We offer four different "flavors" of GDG tunings, using different combinations of larger wound strings and smaller unwound strings, each of which has a distinctly different sound with more or less bass and more or less treble. Check out the sound clips below to hear what each of the four varieties sound like, and then choose one of the options above. The price difference is due to the larger wound bronze strings being a lot pricier than the smaller plain steel strings.
Open G GDG String Set Varieties
Click on each link to hear the sound clip of what each string set variety sounds like (you must allow popups for this site for this to work). For a more in-depth discussion of these tunings, check out our full GDG Open G article over at CigarBoxGuitar.com!
- Low G, Middle D, Middle G Product #: 34-014-01
- This set is the lowest of the low. All wound strings, .042", .030" and .022" phosphor bronze wound. Choose this option if you want a deep, low, growly blues tone. Recommended for BLUES playing.
- Low G, Middle D, High G Product #: 34-015-01
- This set is very similar to the first one above, but it swaps out the middle G for a high unwound G string. Having that high note really works well in this set, and allows for a stronger melody line. String sizes are .042" wound, .030" wound and .009" plain steel. Good for general strumming of folk, blues and country songs.
- Low G, High D, High G Product #: 34-016-01
- This set keeps the low G but moves both the D and G up into the higher register. It keeps a nice low thumpy bass note, balanced with the higher treble sounds of the high D and G. String sizes are .042" wound, .012" plain steel and .009" plain steel. Good for general strumming of folk, blues and country songs.
- Middle G, High D, High G Product #: 34-017-01
- The "FOLK SET". This set brings the low G up to a middle G - still a wound string, but a full octave higher with a lot more high-end twang. This is the set we feature on our 2-cent Genny cigar box guitars! Recommended for FOLK, BLUEGRASS, COUNTRY, old-time music and mountain music picking. String sizes are .022" wound, .012" plain steel and .009" plain steel.