3-String Cigar Box Guitar Kit with How-To Guide - Great for Woodworkers!
Bulk discount rates
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
|Buy 10 - 24||and pay only $32.99 each|
|Buy 25 - 9999||and pay only $29.49 each|
Build a fully playable, Depression Era cigar box guitar using our modern parts and fully detailed directions. Thousands of builders have used these kits to create their own distinctive instruments!
Thank you to Chris from CMR Woodworks for this great demo video featuring our Cigar Box Guitar Kit. See part 2 of this video in the “Product Videos” tab below.
See also: 4-String Cigar Box Guitar Kit
What is included in the kit?
You get all the hardware, strings and even the cigar box. Simply add your own 1x2x34” hardwood plank for the neck, which is easily found at a lumber yard or hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowes.
Contents of the basic kit include:
- One cigar box (styles vary)
- One set of strings (3-string CBG Acoustic Medium)
- Three tuners with bushings and screws
- Eight brass box corners with screws
- Four 1" screened brass sound hole covers
- Two threaded rods which serve as bridge and nut
- One Brass tailpiece hinge
- Our 26-page assembly instructions booklet
- We’ve also included many options in the drop-down menu above. Add frets, electronics, guitar slides and more.
What tools do you need for the basic kit?
You will only need a saw, screwdriver and a drill. You won’t need a dedicated woodshop or expensive tools. Each kit includes a 26-page, easy to follow guide chock full of detailed photos and instructions.
We designed this kit for the beginning woodworker. If you’re looking for an even simpler kit, check out our Pure & Simple Cigar Box Guitar that you can assemble with only a screwdriver!
Are there lessons to play this once I’m done building it?
Yes...and they’re totally free! C. B. Gitty is dedicated to the education and preservation of the cigar box guitar. Go to CigarBoxGuitar.com, our knowledgebase of free lessons & information.
Click on Product Videos tab for part two of CMR Woodworks’ guitar kit demo video.
About the extra add-on options:
- Slide/Guitar Pick: The picture above shows the completed kit. Please note that the copper pipe slide and guitar pick are shown for illustrative purposes only and are not included in this kit.
- Electronics: Add a pickup to your guitar so it can be amped. Here is an install guide for the Basic Piezo Harness option. The electronics kit (soldering required) includes instructions. The rod piezo option is more advanced, here is an article to get you started with them.
- Cigar Box: Also please note that you may not receive the exact cigar boxes shown in these photos, but you will definitely receive a paper-covered box perfect for use as the body of a cigar box guitar. The cigar box may be partly constructed from hardboard instead of wood, but don't worry - hardboard boxes sound great as CBGs!
- No Box option: If you don't need the box, just choose the "No Box" option from the dropdown list and save yourself $3
- Fretting Kit: This is a set of fret wire and how-to guide on CD so that you can try your hand at fretting your cigar box guitar. This does NOT mean a fretted neck is included (see our fretted neck add-on here). Please note: Fretting is much a more advanced topic and may not be something to tackle for your first cigar box guitar build.
- All Wood Box option may alter construction of the guitar: If you choose an all-wood box, the procedure for mounting the neck may be somewhat different than what is described in the how-to guide. This is because all-wood boxes differ in construction from paper-covered boxes, and their exact configuration varies widely from box to box. So choosing an all-wood box may require a bit more figuring and creativity on your part! Also on the all-wood boxes the corners are often rounded or the sides have some curve to them, so the brass box corners might not be usable.